Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Best Albums of 2012: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten


These rockers from New Jersey have been on the scene since 2006 and during that time they've released 4 studio LPs. They've built quite a big audience and become respected band on the rock scene during their career. Their musical style could be best described as punk mixed with stadium rock (similar to Bruce Springsteen's style).

Their last effort Handwritten came out on July 20, 2012 and I gotta say, it is their best album so far. I've said it many times on this blog and I'll say it again - I think they've found a perfect combination of their punk roots and that huge stadium sound on this record.

Actually, I had no doubts this album will be good after they revealed first track of the album - "45". It is such an awesome song. It's got this really big sound. Other tracks on the album continue with spirit of the opener. However, I wouldn't say tracks on this album are too similar. No, I don't think that's the case because every track has slightly different style.

Vocals are typically incredible like we are used to when listening to this band. But what I like maybe even little more is the guitar work on this album. I don't mean really hard and fast guitar solos that last longer than 5 minutes. No, you won't find these on this LP. I mean emotional guitars that can be heard throughout the entire album. In the background, there is always one guitar playing some riffs in addition to the rhythm guitar. Just listen to it and you'll find out for yourself.

Tracklisting of Handwritten:

1. ''45''
2. "Handwritten"
3. "Here Comes My Man"
4. "Mulholland Drive"
5. "Keepsake"
6. "Too Much Blood"
7. "Howl"
8. "Biloxi Parish"
9. "Desire"
10. "Mae"
11. "National Anthem"

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks:

12. "Blue Dahlia"
13. "Sliver" (Nirvana cover)
14. "You Got Lucky" (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment